How To Say Yes

Just Never Say NO!

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Car Accident I was in

The incident described in this story happened about six years ago in India. It is the most unforgettable and strange accident that has ever happened to me. We were enjoying the trip from Chittorgarh, a small city, to Sagwara, a town in Rajasthan, to meet my uncle who is a doctor. My father, who drives quite fast on the highways, was driving the car and my mother was sitting right next to him in the front seat. My cousin and I were sitting in the back seat. The roads were pretty good, but there was no divider between the two sides of the road. The view on the roadside was only of marble factories and the smoke coming out from their chimneys. My cousin and I were really excited to meet my other cousins, but bored of sitting in the car and staring at the smoke going up in the air. We started complaining about how much pollution the smoke causes, but soon were tired of doing that as well.

Our destination was thirty minutes ahead of us. The time was passing leisurely, and we were continuously staring out through the front glass. A bullock cart was going on the same side as we were; it was going really slowly. It was truly annoying to watch a bullock cart going like a snail in front of us making the time pass awfully slowly, so my father picked up the speed of the car in order to overtake the cart. Suddenly, we saw a truck coming at a very high speed from the other side of the road, and my father decided to slow down; however, he was going fast, so it was pretty hard to stop the car. The bullock cart was going extremely slowly. When my father pushed the brake really hard, I started to shout because I saw the bullock cart and truck in front of me, and the sound that was made by the friction between the road the tire was making me nervous. He was trying his best to stop the car, but it was too late and our car crashed into the bullock cart. For about 10 seconds, all of us were silent, but also shocked while thinking of what had just happened. I was about 8-9 years old, and I started to cry not only because of the accident, but also because of the injury I had.

All of us went out of the car, and found that the oxen of the cart were lying on two sides of the road, but were alive. Our car’s bonnet was completely destroyed and smoke was coming out from under it. We looked all around, but as I told you before there was nothing except marble factories. The truck driver, who was partially the cause of the accident left as if he didn’t see anything. We were stuck in the middle of the road with that cart driver. We apologized to him, but he was saying the oxen are dead, and we will have to pay him a lot of money. We told him that they are alive, but he started to argue with us saying that he knows about oxen better than any of us do. The argument continued for fairly long time, and we were very tired of listening to his complaints. We knew it was our fault, but the driver was getting on our nerves by pointing at the oxen and talking in his own dialect, which was rather hard for me to understand. I was looking at my father and the driver simultaneously when they were arguing with each other and trying to know what actually was happening, but my cousin was able to understand everything, so I was asking him every minute, “what is he saying?”

We called our relatives, my mother’s brother and his wife, and waited near by our car for about half an hour. No one except for me had any injury. After a long break, the cheerfulness came back to our faces when we saw my uncle and his wife coming towards us in their car. My uncle checked the oxen which were alive, as we already said; the cart driver had a few injures, so he treated him with first aid, and called some people to help him repair his cart. We went to a near by office of a factory and told them what had happened to us and sat there for about an hour.

Our car was insured, so we called the insurance agency, and went to our relative’s house in their car. I was quite scared while thinking about the accident but when we reached there, I forgot about what had happened and started playing with my cousins. Later my father told me that the agents from the insurance agency came and took the car, and they have paid about $2560 for the repairs of the car. The best thing was that nothing happened to anyone and everyone was fine in the end. Actually this car accident turned out to be a benefit in one way because the car was about 2 years old, but after being repaired, the car’s front part looked as if we bought the car a month ago.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mariam said...

That's one way of having an old car repaired :)

Glad nothing happened to anyone.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home