How To Say Yes

Just Never Say NO!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My great trip to Myra

On our trip to Turkey we were so bored of the sun, beach and swimming pool that we decided to visit Myra, an ancient castle made out of stone. It is about 200 km from Antalya. Obviously, we did not have our own car there, so we decided to rent a car. After that little procedure was over, my mom said that she needed to practice her driving, so, making long story short, that meant my mom is going to be the driver on this trip. I don’t have anything against my mom's driving- oh no, please, of course not! - but I tightened up my seatbelt when sitting in the car. We stopped in the little shop on the way to buy some snacks for the road. I have bought these wonderful wafers with strawberry cream, which I could not wait to open and eat, but my mom said that eating too many sweets is bad for the health and etc. So, I had to wait until we would finally come to Myra. We drove for an hour, and I was pretty exhausted and hungry (at this wonderful time I had very high metabolism).


It is weird but I really believe now that intuition does exist. All the way that we were on the road I was thinking about the easiest way to escape from the car in case of an accident (weird thoughts for a nine-year-old, huh?). And it didn’t wait to happen. On one of the curves the car suddenly turned all the way to the left and landed halfway over the edge of the shore. I saw everything as in a slow motion. It was exactly like in the movies and I think we all thought at that moment that right now the part of the car on the road is going to be heavier than the part in front, and its going to stop right there. However, I think the most disappointing moment of my life happened then- like in some roller-coaster the front window of the car showed us how we came closer and closer to the water, with my wimpish parents shouting and holding me back ( after the shop I forgot to put my seatbelt back on). And suddenly it all stops. The car stops few centimeters before the water. My mom and dad shout -"Get out of the car!"- And I finally use the technique that I had in my head during the whole ride and jump out of the car. We run up the cliffs towards a crowd of people who stopped in order to see what had happened. None of us has any injuries except for a little scratch on my mom's neck. The police-officer tells us that a week ago 5 people died in a car accident right on this place. I guess that was supposed to make us incredibly happy. The next two hours we have spent in the police office. The nice officers offered us some dried cookies and cold tea. Amazed by their hospitality we were waiting until the people from the renting agency would come and look at what remained of their car.


When we finally got out of there we (translate: mom and dad) decided to hire a taxi and head to Myra. I thought that the accident gave some brain concussions, and argued with my parents about continuing the trip. However, they were deaf to my requests, so half an hour later we were on our way to Myra. On the part of the road where we had an accident we decided to get out of the car and walk instead. The driver thought that we did that because of our passion to the sea views, and then stops in front of every beach on the way. When we finally reached Myra (nothing special), we got a call from the agents from the renting company, who said that everything is arranged and we just have to come and pick our things up. The insurance will pay the repair, and we don’t have to worry about anything. My parents, happy to return back to the hotel, are joyful and order tons of room service. Nothing can cheer me up as the wafers, my great strawberry wafers, can't be found anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home